Research and Business Development Intern
(6-months full-time paid internship)
Joule Assets Europe Group S.r.l. Modena, Italy
Currently valued at €8 billion, the European energy efficiency markets have lagged due to a slow sales cycle and high due diligence costs, blocking access to capital and complicating project finance. To address this market failure, Joule Assets Europe provides strategic support to enable investment for Energy Reduction Assets projects, including energy efficiency, distributed renewables, storage, and building control measures. Joule's online platform, eQuad, provides access to third-party project valuation, performance insurance, project certification, due diligence, and introductions to prequalified capital sources in the form of off-balance sheet financing.
Joule Assets Europe is seeking a candidate willing to understand the energy markets structures and assist Joule Assets’ efforts to develop its project portfolio in Europe and maximize the value of investments. We are looking for a candidate who can find, understand, and analyze energy industry information to strengthen Joule Assets’ research and business development capabilities.
As a Research and Business Development intern, the candidate will:
- Play an integral role in keeping Joule Assets’ energy reduction assets assessment tool up to date
- Conduct market research and gather actionable information, required to assess investment opportunities and maximize project’s returns
- Support staff members as they identify, recruit and negotiate with partners (contractors, energy service companies, etc.) that benefit from providing energy reduction financing to their customers
The candidate must be a self-starter, with a passion for and experience with information gathering and analysis. The candidate will:
- Get an in depth understanding of energy reduction assets market structure.
- Acquire hands-on experience in an international business, through collaborating with a wide range of stakeholders all over Europe and the US
- Acquire hands-on experience in H2020-funded project work
The selected candidate will work in the Modena office, under the supervision of Michael Pachlatko. The candidate will also collaborate and learn from Joule Assets’ experienced teams, based out of New York, Brussels and the UK.
Responsibilities – the key responsibilities for this position include:
- Contact Transmission and Distribution System Operators, utility representatives and other energy market stakeholders, to procure relevant information on their energy efficiency and demand response offerings
- Business development and commercial support:
- Support market research for possible target markets
- Client support on eQuad, Joule’s proprietary service platform
- Support the due diligence process on sustainable energy project financing
- Execute day-to-day administrative and operational tasks
- Actively participate in internal strategic discussions on prioritizing initiatives
Experience – the ideal candidate will have knowledge in the following areas:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (technical field)
- Energy market research and analysis
- Previous work experience in energy technology and sustainability
- Full proficiency in MS Excel
- Financial and quantitative analysis (All candidates will be tested with an Excel based analytical test)
- Excellent English language skills are essential, any other major European language an additional asset
Attributes – the key attributes for this position include:
- Creativity, initiative, self-starter
- Customer service orientation
- Ability to contribute individually, and participate in a cross-functional team
- Doggedness, determination and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to create great working relationships with all levels within the company and across multiple disciplines
- Sense of humor
Compensation and Scope
Full time paid internship for a 6-months period at 40 hours per week located in Modena, Italy, with a gross monthly salary of €1000. Keep in mind that 90% of our permanent employees started as interns. The successful candidate is expected to start in August 2018.
If you’re motivated, achievement-driven and enthusiastic about the energy industry, be sure to apply online with your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Application deadline is on 10 August 2018 midnight CET. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For questions only, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Italian office at: +39 059 239 621.